Riders can request rides through the Lyft app or on the web.
- Requesting rides in the app
- Requesting rides on the web
- Request a ride for someone else
- I'm unable to request a ride
Requesting rides in the app
Once you’ve downloaded the Lyft app and created an account:
- Tap ‘Search destination’ and enter your drop-off location
- Select your preferred ride type. Learn more about ride modes that fit your travel needs here.
- Tap ‘Select Lyft’
- Confirm or change your pickup location before tapping ‘Confirm and request’
Once you've enabled GPS locating in your phone settings, the Lyft app will automatically set your current address as the ‘pickup’ location.
To add an extra stop during a ride, tap the ‘+’ icon next to the listed addresses at the top of the ride screen.
If you’re making a stop or going to leave the car for more than 10 minutes, ask the driver to end the ride. Then, request a new ride when you’re ready to go to your next destination.
You'll need to log in to your Lyft account before requesting a ride from the web. Rides can't be requested without an attached Lyft account.
To request a ride on the web:
- Go to ride.lyft.com
- Enter the pickup and drop-off locations
- Select ‘Ride details’ to choose your desired ride type
- Select ‘Request a Lyft ride’
We recommend keeping your phone with you, as you'll receive texts for ride updates. You can also add ride.lyft.com to your mobile home screen by using your browser’s settings.
The following features are not available from a web browser:
- Apple Pay, Google Pay, Venmo, Lyft Cash, or PayPal
- Removing forms of payment (You can add or switch payment methods)
- Changing destinations or adding stops after starting a ride
- Bikes or scooters
- Business rides
- Push notifications
- Redeeming coupons
- Transit information
Request a ride for someone else
To request a ride for someone else:
- Set the rider’s destination
- Tap on your name at the top of the screen
- Select a rider from your contact list
- The app will request access to the requestor’s contacts the first time this option is selected. If the rider does not have a Lyft account, they will be sent a link via SMS message to create an account.
How to sync contacts
An easy way to search for destinations is by syncing the addresses from your contact list. This way, you can easily find contacts’ addresses when typing their name in the drop-off field.
You can then select the contact so the address will be set as the drop-off location. You can also add or delete a contact address, and it will automatically sync with your device’s contact list. Here’s how:
- Tap ‘Search destination’
- Tap ‘Import contacts’ at the bottom of the list (this will pop-up if you haven’t yet granted access permission)
- Tap ‘Allow’ when prompted to give contacts list access
- Now your contacts should appear as search results in the drop-off field when you search by their name or address
- Tap a contact name to use the address as a destination
- You can also tap on the edit button next to the contact to add or remove an address
I'm unable to request a ride
You may receive an error message that your ride can't be requested if the following applies:
- Payment method needs updating
- Not enough funds to cover the ride cost
- No current drivers available in your area
- Your account is deleted/deactivated
- Connectivity issues within the app or your smartphone
To update your payment method:
- Tap ‘Payment’ from the Lyft app menu
- Add or update your payment method
If a payment charge or authorization fails, you won’t be able to request a ride with that payment method. For declined payments, please contact your card issuer or digital wallet customer support. Learn more about Temporary authorizations.
Poor connectivity or out-of-date software can also cause issues with requesting rides. To learn more, see Fix connectivity, frozen app, and website issues.